Polyvercan is a complex anthelmintic drug that is used for cats for therapeutic or prophylactic purposes. Effectively affects round and tapeworms, but at the same time differs in low toxicity. The antiparasitic drug formula was developed by the French company Ceva Sante Animal.
Polyvercan is admitted in the form of sugar cubes intended for oral administration. Outwardly they are light yellow in color. In the middle there is a groove that allows you to divide the cube into two equal parts. Due to this, it is not difficult to measure the right amount of the drug for small pets and prevent overdose.
Briquettes are packed in blisters of 8 pieces. Each such plate is additionally packed in a cardboard box and is completed with instructions for use. To preserve the medicinal properties of Polyvercan, you need to follow a few simple rules:
- Choose a place to store away from sunlight.
- Observe the temperature storage conditions - from 0 to 25˚C.
- Place in a dry place.
Note! The medicine contains toxic substances, therefore it must be stored out of the reach of children and pets.
Composition and action
Polyvercan refers to complex antiparasitic drugs. A wide range of its effects is due to two active components:
- Niclozamide is able to destroy tapeworms. The principle of action of this active component is that in the body of parasites the process of glucose absorption is disrupted, which acts as a source of energy. Among the characteristics of the substance, it is worth noting that it is practically not absorbed in the intestines of the animal and is excreted from the body unchanged.
- Oxybendazole has a similar principle of action, but is effective against roundworms. The component disrupts glucose transport and negatively affects other vital processes of the parasites, which leads to their rapid death. Partially absorbed in the intestine and excreted in the urine.
Polyvercan acts on cestodes and nematodes at all stages of their development, but does not have a toxic or other negative effect on cats, if used according to the instructions. As an auxiliary component in the medicine, sucrose is used, which gives the cubes a sweetish aftertaste.
When and how to apply
An anthelmintic agent is prescribed for the prevention and treatment of helminthic invasions:
If the drug is used for treatment, it is given twice with a 10-day interval. When using the medicine for prophylactic purposes, deworming is carried out once a quarter. Additionally, you need to give Polyvercan before mating and vaccination, since worms can greatly reduce immunity, which can cause serious health problems in the future.
Dosage is calculated taking into account the weight of the pet:
- for kittens weighing 0.5-1 kg, a quarter of the briquette is needed;
- for adult cats and cats weighing from 1 to 5 kg, half a sugar cube is required.
Note! If your pet weighs more than 5 kg, consult a doctor. It will help to correctly calculate the dose, taking into account the characteristics of the animal, its state of health and other factors.
There are many ways to give Polyvercan:
- crush the cube and sprinkle a small amount of food on it;
- Dissolve the medicine in a small amount of water, and then drink the animal from a syringe without a needle.
The instructions do not indicate that before taking an antiparasitic agent, you must follow a hungry diet or give laxatives. Since the components are practically not absorbed, they effectively destroy parasites in the intestine.
It is not recommended to violate the scheme of use, especially during treatment. The active components have little effect on the eggs of the worms, so after 10 days, a second dose is necessary to destroy the worms that can hatch from them. If you miss the reception, the larvae can mature and lay eggs again.
The price of Polyvercan packaging varies from 400 to 550 rubles, but in many pharmacies you can purchase briquettes for cats individually. The cost of one cube is 65-75 rubles. You can make a purchase in a regular veterinary pharmacy or pet store, or on the Internet.
You can see the current price of the drug and buy it right here:
Contraindications and limitations
Contraindications for the use of Polyvercan for cats is:
- individual intolerance of the constituent components;
- violations of the liver and severe diseases of this organ;
- Kittens are up to 30 days old.
Note! There are no instructions in the instructions regarding the use of the drug during pregnancy and lactation, so be sure to consult a veterinarian.
It is not recommended to combine the use of Polyvercan with other antiparasitic drugs, as this may increase their toxicity and the risk of side effects.
When working with the drug, you must follow the general rules. People with hypersensitivity should avoid direct contact with the medicine, since there is a risk of allergic reactions. The medicine packaging should not be used for domestic purposes.
Subject to the recommended doses, the antiparasitic agent is well tolerated by cats of different breeds and ages (from 1 month). With increased sensitivity to the components, vomiting, diarrhea and other disorders of the gastrointestinal tract may occur. In the future, Polyvercanum is not used, if necessary, drugs are prescribed for symptomatic treatment. With a strong infection with worms, intoxication of the animal's body can occur. In this case, you should consult a doctor who will select the medicine depending on the symptoms and general condition of the pet.
In case of an overdose, the following side effects may occur:
- loss of appetite or complete refusal of food;
- increased salivation;
- apathy and depression.
In this case, you need to rinse the stomach of the animal, and then, if necessary, apply symptomatic treatment.
Advantages and disadvantages
The drug has many advantages:
- It has a wide spectrum of action, destroys tapeworms and roundworms of various types.
- Differs in high efficiency.
- Easy to use, can be mixed with food or diluted in water.
- It has a minimal list of contraindications.
- No special storage conditions are required. From the date of production can be stored for 4 years.
- Suitable for medical purposes and prevention.
- It can be used for cats of different breeds.
In addition, it is low toxic compared to pyrantel-based drugs.
The disadvantages of the drug include the following:
- It is not found in all pharmacies, especially the problem is urgent for residents of small settlements.
- May cause side effects.
- It requires strict adherence to dosage, otherwise there is a high risk of disruption of the digestive system or poisoning.
- Virtually no effect on parasite eggs, therefore, with invasions, a 2-fold intake is necessary.
Anna, the mistress of the Japanese bobtail:
"I used Polyvercan for the prevention of worms for my pets - a 4-year-old cat and a 7-year-old dachshund. If the dog ate sugar cubes directly from the palm of his hand, then everything turned out to be more difficult with the cat. I had to pour medicine dissolved in water into it. He resisted, therefore I and the whole room were sticky. There were no side effects, but in the future for the cat I will, as before, buy pills. "
Antonina, mistress of 2 cats:
“We have two cats. In the summer, they spend most of the time on the street, as the whole family moves to the cottage. In this regard, we constantly spend worms. We used to buy suspensions. We tried versions from different manufacturers, the result is always the same - heavy salivation "It turned out to be even more difficult to give pills. On the advice of a veterinarian, they bought Polyvercan. They gave them diluted. The cats didn’t unlock the sweet water. There was no saliva, nor were there any worms. A good preparation. I recommend to other pet owners."
Timur, a veterinarian with 6 years of experience:
"I often prescribe Polyvercanum for kittens and adult cats. The drug is low toxic and, according to my personal observations, rarely causes side effects. An excellent option for the prevention of parasites, and for treatment I usually choose stronger drugs, since sugar cubes can not completely cope with their destruction. I use this a medicine for their pets - two British cats and a 3-year-old Pekingese. "
Olga Andreevna, a veterinarian with 12 years of experience:
“I rarely use Polyvercan in my practice. If I prescribe it, I use it only for dogs, but for cats I choose more proven means, for example, Drontal or Cestal. Regarding this drug, opinions were divided among my colleagues: some consider it completely safe, and the second - deadly "it’s dangerous because there were cases of kittens death. But I think that it’s the fault of the owners who incorrectly calculate the dose. It’s better to consult a competent doctor before use.