People who decide to have a cat for the first time know little about animal care methods at first. One of the first issues that need to be solved by newly-born cat-natives is the deworming of a pet. These are questions about how to gobble a cat, how often it can be done, what the consequences may be, and stuff like that.
We will solve the problem dramatically - you will receive answers to the most common questions about the methods and nuances of combating worms in cats and cats.
How to gobble a cat at home
If you take into account the rules and regulations, then only a veterinarian who has obtained information from the results of the analysis, such as the type of parasites and the lesion sites, can be involved in anthelmintic treatment. In addition, the doctor takes into account the effect of certain drugs on a particular type of helminth, which allows him to choose the right treatment.
However, people often have to anthelmintic cats at home, without qualified assistance. And the first thing to know when you are in a similar situation is a list of medications suitable for deworming your pet:
- Polyvercan and others.
This is just a short list of medications suitable to gobble up a cat at home. Below you can familiarize yourself with the best anthelmintic drugs, and now we will reveal the nuances of the use of drugs.
How to apply anthelmintic
For preventive purposes, a modern drug is given once. It is advisable to hold an event in the morning. Preparation for the procedure is not required.
If deworming is of a medicinal nature, then the drug is given twice, with an interval of ten days.
The cat needs to be anthelminthic if the animal is to be vaccinated. This must be done ten days before the procedure.
More drugs are given to pregnant cats - three weeks before lambing and repeat the event five weeks after the offspring.
Remedies for worms are not used on young kittens earlier than three weeks.
Folk remedies of anthelmintic of domestic cats
For the treatment and prevention, various folk remedies can also be used. The most popular among breeders include:
- Sugar Solution If the pet refuses to drink sweet water, you can drink it with a syringe.
- Fennel or pharmacy chamomile in the form of a decoction. Infusion should be given to cats instead of water.
- Onion water. To get the infusion, you need a bulb and a glass of boiled water. Onion should be crushed in water and stand the mixture for one day. Give this water, instead of ordinary liquid. The recommended duration for this home treatment is seven days.
- Infusion of tansy. To get a decoction, you need a tablespoon of flowers and a glass of boiling water. Infuse the broth for one hour. You need to drink a cat three times a day, an hour before meals.
- Tincture of wormwood on alcohol. Dosage - 10 drops twice a day, an hour before meals.
- Enema based on carrot juice. Apply once a day. The duration of the procedure is seven days.
Attention! The folk way to gobble a cat at home is for guidance only and is not a call to action. Cats are all different, each animal has its own characteristics of the body. And it is quite possible that a folk technique that saved a neighboring cat from worms will not bring success in your case. Worse - your pet may get poisoned or an upset GI.
How often do you need to worm a cat home
Some cat people generally believe that domestic cats do not need to be anthelminthic in principle. They motivate this by saying that the animal has nowhere to get infected. However, this is a common misconception. Worm eggs can get on the cat almost with dust. So, in residential premises they can be brought from the street on the sole of shoes. Food can also be a source of infection. This is especially true for cats, whose diet includes natural products.
In general, you need to have a helminthic cat. But how often it depends on the situation.
How often do anthelmintic domestic cats prevent
For preventive purposes, anthelminthic cats and cats who have reached the age of one month begin. Such manipulations can be repeated three times a year. For a domestic cat, this is a normal time interval. If the cat is home, but sometimes it happens on the street, the frequency of preventive measures can be increased up to once a month.
An important point! After the animal is one year old, for the purpose of prevention, anthelmintic drugs are enough to give twice a year.
As you understand, all the indicated periods are a relative value. Much depends on the environment of the cat, methods of caring for her, the characteristics of the breed, and more. In addition, the detection of parasites is an instant breakdown of the established deadlines for planned deworming. A sick cat should be proglistone immediately. At the same time, remember - the medicine kills living individuals and does not affect helminth eggs. Therefore, after ten days (the ripening period of the worm eggs), the young generation of parasites should be “finished off” with a new portion of the anthelmintic drug. The dosage of the drug in both cases should be the same.
Anthelmintic for cats - which is better
The polemic about the best anthelmintic for cats does not stop for a minute. The subject of discussion is the effectiveness of a particular drug, the likelihood of a fake drug, the high price of anthelmintic for cats.
All these, of course, are significant factors, but the essence of the problem lies in the degree of harm to the animal organism. After all, every catman wants an effective and safe tool for his pet. Consider the most popular anthelmintic drugs in the veterinary market:
- Milbemax - reviews about the tool are the most positive. The main disadvantage is the narrow range. This is an excellent anthelmintic for domestic cats, but for lovers to walk, it is better to pick something stronger. It should also not be given to kittens under the age of 1.5 months.
- Prazitel, Prazitsid, Drontal - all of them are popular, but rather weak agents with a narrow spectrum of action. A cat picked up from the street can not be cured by them. But this is not the main minus. The lack of drugs lies in their popularity. They are often faked, and counterfeit products are often of poor quality and toxic, which can kill a cat. Although Drontal refers to anthelmintic for pregnant cats, this is a clear plus.
- Dirofen. Pills have gained popularity because of such qualities as versatility and a good effect. Although kittens up to 1.5 months of age do not give the drug.
- Profender. As in the previous case, small cats and cats are not suitable. Type of drug: drops at the withers. The effect of the application is good and quite gentle. The amount of application agent is calculated based on the weight of the pet.
- Kaniquantel. One of the most sparing drugs. Due to this property, it is prescribed even to small, three-week-old kittens.
When buying any of the above drugs, be careful. After all, the market of fake anthelmintic drugs is successfully developing. Ask sellers for product certificates, do not hesitate to examine the packaging of the goods before purchase. Remember, the price of a good anthelmintic for cats cannot be too low. Also, do not buy drugs from unreliable sources, such as a free bulletin board or underpass.
You can see the current price of anthelmintic drugs and buy them right here:
Does a cat need to be anthelminth before sterilization
The deworming of a cat before sterilization is an important point. As soon as you decide to sterilize the pet, immediately start preparing for an unscheduled worm race.
Note that it is necessary to drive the worms from the cat no earlier than ten days before the planned sterilization. Although, if you have anthelminthic cat no more than a month ago, then you do not need to repeat the procedure.
Diarrhea in a cat after an anthelmintic
People often hear that antiparasitic drugs are the cause of diarrhea in a cat, poisoning and other ailments, including death. Naturally, each drug is somewhat toxic, but the main problems arise not because of the chemical component of the product, but an erroneous dosage, or an improperly selected product. Regarding diarrhea in a cat after an anthelmintic, this is another story altogether. As a rule, diarrhea is provoked not by drugs, but by dead, decaying parasites. And for a cat, diarrhea in this case is a natural way to cleanse the intestines of dead worms.
You can also ask a question to the staff veterinarian of our site who will answer them as soon as possible in the comment box below.