The cat is one of the most popular pets in the world. On the one hand, each owner knows a lot of interesting facts about the history of the origin of a particular breed, as well as about the behavior of their pets. However, in reality there is much that the owners are not even aware of. The interesting facts about cats below will help you better understand these challenging pets.
Attitude to cats in different countries
It is traditionally believed that cats are one of the most beloved pets in almost all countries of the world. However, this is not entirely true. So, interesting facts about cats and cats and the attitude of different nations towards them:
- In ancient Egypt, this animal was considered sacred, and if the cat was dying, then the whole family shaved their eyebrows as a sign of grief. Pets even had special cat graveyards. To cause any harm to the animal was considered unacceptable. This at one time took advantage of the Persians. Knowing the immense love of the Egyptians for cats, during the war they held animals in their arms. It was unthinkable for the Egyptian military to kill a sacred animal, so they died, but they did not touch the cats.
- In Siam, cats were revered very highly. During the coronation of the next monarch, the animals rode in a special carriage in front of the entire procession.
- The frequent mention of cats by Jews is associated with an interesting legend. Noah needed some kind of animal to secure food that rats in the ark could eat. According to legend, God made the lion sneeze, and cats appeared from this sneeze.
- Superiority in the number of these pets is shared by the USA and Australia. According to statistics, 9 out of 10 Australians keep a cat at home.
- In Vietnam, cats have long been consumed as a delicacy. However, the catastrophic state of affairs resulting from the uncontrolled breeding of mice and rats forced the government to ban eating these animals and restore the population of domestic cats as soon as possible.
- In Russia there is the only cat theater of Yuri Kuklachev. No one else in the world is able to train these rebellious animals like that.
- In France, a pretty cruel attitude to kittens intended for sale. If the baby is not bought within a month, then it is simply destroyed, believing that it is of no value.
- In Japan, the city of Kagoshima houses the Cat Temple. It was built in honor of the cats who participated in the military operation in 1600. Warriors could tell time by their expanding and contracting pupils. The temple is often visited by watchmakers.
- In the Indian Ocean there is an island on which more than 1000 cats and cats live, and they are its only inhabitants. According to legend, a shipwreck occurred near Fagios (the name of the island), and sailors with animals moved to land. People died because help did not come. The animals have bred and feel great hunting fish, eating crustaceans and sea urchins.
How cats see, sleep and hunt
No less interesting facts about cats and cats relate to how exactly these animals see them, why they hunt specifically for mice, and is it true that these animals sleep 2/3 of their lives:
- Cats really sleep most of the day, and can go hunting at night. This is explained by ancient instincts inherited by modern purrs from their distant ancestors.
- A place of sleep is always a long and careful choice, and, from the point of view of a person, there can be no logic in it. At the same time, it is extremely undesirable to drive a cat from a favorite place, since it is here that she feels best and can sleep peacefully.
- The love of hunting and eating mice is explained quite simply: in the skin of these rodents is sulfur, which is vital for cats. In addition, mice can be hunted year-round, while most birds migrate much of the year. Mice are easier to catch than birds, since the lateral arrangement of the eyes of the latter allows them to quickly detect the danger.
- The following fact is interesting: when a large number of these animals live on the same territory, they hunt in turn, adhering to a peculiar schedule.
- Cats are color blind, which can distinguish a small number of colors. Cat's eyes glow in the dark from the fact that even with an insignificant source of light, it gets on the so-called tapetum. This is a small smooth shell, which is located behind the retina and serves as a kind of mirror. Depending on the color of the tapetum, a yellow or green glow can be seen. When pitch darkness reigns, eyes will not glow, they need a minimal light source.
How cats express their feelings to the owners
Such facts from the life of cats are well known to their owners, but there are several points that few people know about.:
- If the animal suddenly lies down in the middle of the room and exposes the tummy to the owner, this indicates unlimited trust and love.
- Friction on various pieces of furniture is a mark of the territory, since there are glands near the mustache (vibrissa) of the animal that secrete a special secret. It serves as a signal to other animals that the territory is occupied.
- If an animal stands and sways its tail, this does not mean that it is angry. Thus, the cat makes it clear that at the moment I’m not sure what to do: whether to eat or eat.
- A highly lifted tail and all sorts of demonstrations of the anus are a sign of great love and trust in the owners, and not at all impudence or an attempt to put them below yourself.
- Many interesting facts are associated with the purring of cats. The fact is that cats communicate among themselves in a completely different "language". Purring is a way of communicating only with people, and it can be of different tonality and duration. Some especially restless individuals can meow for several hours in a row without stopping for a minute.
Probably the most interesting facts about cats are related to their healing abilities. Someone believes in them, someone is skeptical. That's how things really are:
- Cats have a beneficial effect on the condition of patients suffering from cardiovascular and neurological diseases. This is said even by doctors.
- The animal can really feel when the owner has health problems. Therefore, if the cat is constantly trying to lie on his head or stomach, do not brush it off, and if possible, check your health.
- When a cat purrs next to the owner, it also has a beneficial effect on her health. Thanks to vibration, wounds and diseases pass faster in an animal.
And finally, a selection of disparate facts:
- A person can be identified by fingerprints. A cat has a nose for this purpose: the pattern on its surface is unique and does not repeat.
- The variety of animal colors is associated not only with selection, but also with the need to adapt to different living conditions.
- The cat is unable to chew large pieces of food, as its jaws do not move from side to side.
- The Tower of Towser in Scotland was built in honor of the cat, which in his life destroyed about 30 thousand mice.
- A cat can get through any hole, the main thing is that its head crawls through. This happens because these animals have no collarbones.
- Cats do not sweat in the usual sense of the word. The sweat glands are located exclusively on the paw pads.
- The claws on the front legs of the animal are much sharper than on the hind legs.
- In medieval Europe, cats were considered unclean companions, so they were regularly burned at the stake. This led to a sharp increase in the rat population that became carriers of the plague.
- Obsessive love for cats belongs to the category of mental disorders and is called aylurophilia.
- These animals can reproduce up to a hundred different sounds, and sometimes manage to imitate the voices of young children.
- In Australia and the UK, black cats are believed to bring happiness and good fortune. In the US, they think very differently.
- Cats prefer warm food, and do not like too cold or hot food.
Cats are just as familiar, so mysterious pets. However, despite all their features, they give owners a lot of joy and unforgettable minutes of communication with themselves.