There are different feeds,
Budget and cool,
Wet and large,
Well, in general, at least some!
In this article we will talk about how not to get confused in front of a shelf with cat food and choose for your pet not only the most delicious, but also the most useful by examining the composition of cat food!
What to look for when choosing cat food
Getting into the zoological store for the first time, it is not surprising to lose your head from the huge variety of cat foods presented. But in order to make the right choice, you still need to have a cold head on your shoulders and, when choosing food for your family pet, focus not only on beautiful packaging and reasonable cost, but also on the analysis of cat food for the following items!
- If you still do not understand the brands of feed, then pay attention to the country of manufacture. Admittedly, the best feeds are made in Denmark, Germany, Canada, the USA and the UK.
- Advanced cat owners need to pay attention to the brand of feed. The reputation of some feeds is very tarnished, while others, on the contrary, are undeservedly deprived of the attention of buyers. You can find out more about this in the article-rating of dry food for cats.
- But the most important thing in any feed is the composition. We will teach you to read analyze and compare cat food and instantly evaluate its true benefits or harms.
Analysis of the composition of feed for cats
In what cases is it better to put the jar (package) with food back on the store shelf?
- If you read that the cat food contains cellulose, sugar, caramel and, attention, Propylen glycol. The latter is considered a sweetener, but in fact it is an icing agent that is very harmful to the animal’s health.
- If the feed contains E127 (artificial dye), which often provokes cancer.
- If the composition does not hide a large percentage of offal. Good offal is useful for a cat, but often under this name the producers mask such unappetizing things as, say, beef skin or simply garbage from slaughterhouses.
- The inscription "meat" does not mean that the feed contains meat, but that the manufacturer is trying to hide the true essence of this component. Only if there is a decryption, that is, a detailed list of varieties of meat, you can count on your cat to eat just a clean product.
- Do not buy food if you saw Ethoxyquin, BHA (E320) and BHT (E321). These are artificial antioxidants that can affect the liver, cause depression, convulsions, skin neuroses.
- Chemical preservatives are also not the best food for your cat.
What makes a good cat food?
- In the first place in the composition of a good feed will be meat! It should be at least 35%! Beef, chicken, turkey, rabbit or fish are good meat ingredients.
- The next component to be present in the feed is protein. 20% protein is a good number. Egg or milk protein is an excellent natural filler.
- Only 10% comes from quality offal.
- The plant fiber needed by cats should not exceed 25% of the composition. Oats, wheat, rice, corn are useful for cats only if the producer does not add them in order to save on meat.
- Additional mineral and vitamin supplements are only a plus to the manufacturer’s karma.
Safe and necessary supplements include:
- vitamin C;
- vitamins H, K, B3, I15, B5, B6, B2, B1;
- Calciumoxid, Calcium phosphate, Calciumcarbonat (calcium);
- Calcium pantothenat (Vitamin B5);
- chloride, choline chloride;
- cobalt, copper, copper carbonate, copper sulfite, sulfite of iron, iron oxide, manganese, zinc and copper;
- the presence of an amino acid such as taurine in the composition is also a good indicator and an incentive to purchase feed;
- natural antioxidants (vitamins E and C) will not harm your pet.
Comparison of cat food types
Keep in mind - the price depends on the quality of the feed!
Budget feeds belong to the economy class. You will instantly recognize them on the shelf, because these feeds are actively advertised, are most widely represented on the market and can be bought at almost any supermarket. Economy-class feeds include Whiskas, Kitekat, Darling, Friskies, Oscars, Four-Legged Gourmet, etc.
In the composition of economy-class feeds there are a lot of artificial additives (flavor enhancers, dyes and preservatives), but offensively little meat. It is intended to replace low-quality offal and vegetable proteins. Such food will never be properly balanced and the differences in the line are only in tastes, and not in filling. The digestibility of feed of economy class - 60-65%.
Higher level - premium feed. They are also inexpensive and do not differ in high meat content. Of those that are presented in our stores, Royal Canin (Russia), Pro Nature, Nutra, Happy Cat, and others belong to premium feeds.
It is assumed that there is a little more meat in them than in the feed of the previous class, and by-products are better. In premium feeds, division by purpose is already found (kittens are elderly cats, for the withdrawal of wool - conventional feeds). Digestibility - 70-75%.
The price of super-premium cat food is already palpable for the family budget. These feeds are practically not advertised, since it is believed that the reputation of the brands Hills, Royal Canin (France), ProPlan, Nutra Nuggets and others speaks for itself. Super-premium feed can only be purchased at pet stores and veterinary facilities.
There is a lot of meat in them, vegetable protein is not enough, there are no artificial additives at all. It is assimilated by 85-95% and already takes into account the breeds of cats and cats.
Complete our feline "Maslow's pyramid" feed Human Grade (Holistic) class, which can be purchased only by reservation. Eagle Pack Holistic, Evo, Orijen, Felidae are all Michelin stars in your pet's bowl.
Elite feeds in the composition have plant components, expressed without treatment with harmful substances (n / a pesticides). Sources of animal origin are grown without the use of hormones and antibiotics. By the way, if you wish, you can also try this food together with your pet without harm to yourself.
Features of the composition of dry food for cats
Leave the myths about the inappropriateness of dry feed in the past, because, in fact, the compositions of wet, semi-moist and dry feed are the same. The difference is observed only in proportions.
To understand this, let's imagine how the dry feed production process goes.
Nutritionists develop a prescription first. Its components are mixed using automatic machines and this raw material is baked and pressed through "sieves" that determine the future form of dry food. The following is a decorating process. That is, the dried pieces of food are “pollinated” with fat and digests, which make the dry product more palatable. These are the main processes for the production of dry feed.
Therefore, in good dry feeds it will not be stated that the percentage of meat component is unnecessarily high. According to the law, the producer indicates the share of the final product, and dried meat cannot occupy more than 50%. Normally and usually it is 35%.
If you don’t find meat in the dry food composition in the first place, do not be discouraged, its weight after drying determines 4, 5, and even 10th place in the composition.
The absence of colorings and flavorings suggests that the food is not harmful to the cat.
In addition to the composition of feed for cats, it is worth looking at the daily rate of feeding. That food is more nutritious for the animal, the producers of which have declared a low daily intake.
Features of wet cat food
As we already said, the compositions of dry and wet cat foods are almost always the same, but what exactly distinguishes wet foods from drying is, as the captain says, Evidence, humidity! Canned food is sometimes up to 80% moisture (dry food - 6%). This indicator is important for those who want to understand exactly how much and what his cat will eat. To do this, knowing the percentage of moisture (it is always indicated on etiquette), you need to calculate the correct percentage of proteins and fats. There, on etiquette, you can read the proportion of solids.
And now we recall the school course in mathematics and on the example of canned food with a humidity of 80%, let's calculate, say, the amount of fiber.
So, the composition tells us that in canned cat food humidity is 80%, dry residue is 20%, fiber is 5%. We divide 5% by 0.2 (this is our 20% dry residue) and we get an amazing figure - in fact, fiber in the bank is 25%! In the same way, you can try to count the amount of protein, fat, and more.
What else can you learn from wet cat food? Of course, according to the rules, in front of the list of ingredients should be those products that are more in the composition, but manufacturers are often cunning. For example, at the very end of the list you see wheat flour, bran, ground corn, which are represented by small percentages. But you add these percentages together and it is possible that their weight will exceed the weight of the meat.
One of the manufacturers' tricks is the word flavor. If the canned food is “with taste”, then you can be sure that the source of taste (beef, shrimp) is completely absent, but artificial additives imitating the deliciousness are in excess.
By the way, the words all ("completely") or "100%" are also insincere. Moreover, in some countries they are prohibited by law from placing canned food for animals on labels. 100% implies only one product in a jar, and this is technologically impossible.
A cold mind and a warm heart - this is what you should be guided by when choosing food for your pet. After all, good nutrition and your love is the key to his good and healthy life!